Monday, September 10, 2012

Marrakech, Morocco: Day 6

Today begins lazily, on account of last night. My uncle's elementary school friend, Bertrand, and his wife drive down from Casablanca to eat lunch with us. Mariam's couscous is one of the best things I've ever tasted. Bertrand's wife is the most empty-headed person I've ever met, so the lunch is amusing as I try to stifle rude giggles. She asks me where the black people live in the US and talks about how she's read that everyone there is fat.

Once they leave, we take inventory of all the plates, cups, saucers, teapots, etc, etc of my uncle's hotel. My uncle claims that it's fine he wasn't able to sell it; he now has a present all ready to go for the marriages of my brother and me. I'm fine with that too.

This is not all of it


Then, off to the tourist activity of the day: le Jardin Majorelle. This is a huge garden and estate established by the French painter Louis Majorelle and then owned by fashion designer Yves Saint-Laurent. The museum about the Berbers, the indigenous people of regions of Northern Africa, has excellent English translations and lots of cool jewelry and traditional clothing, but no pictures in the museum. Here are choice ones from the garden itself:










No comments:

Post a Comment