Thursday, September 6, 2012

Marrakech, Morocco: Day 2

My rose
Fruit at the market
We wake up at 9 and are greeted with a breakfast prepared by Mariam, my uncle's cook and maid. My historical conscience makes me feel uneasy around these sorts of people, and although Mariam is very nice and not much older than me, I'm a little bit awkward the whole week when talking with her. The only things I ever really found out about her are that she lives in the little village near my uncle and that she loves "Vache Qui Rit," a toothpaste-tasting cheese that's super popular in Morocco. In any case, she spoils us with Moroccan crepes for breakfast and a different but equally delicious lunch everyday.

In the morning, we go to buy provisions for the week at the market. All the vendors shake my hand, chat with Dominique, and ask about my grandmother. I leave each booth with a little present: a melon, a carton of raspberries, a banana, a sardine, a rose. This makes me very happy, and I start to get an idea for the warmth and generosity of the Moroccan people.

 <--- my room before it got messy
where we ate lunch every day ---------->













After lunch, my uncle takes a nap until 3:30 and I sample the pool and bring my book. It's so hot that you don't need a towel to dry off. We then go to the old walled city, la Medina (photos to come in later days), to visit a riad. A riad is like a mini traditional Moroccan hotel. There's a central patio, a terrass, and five or six rooms on the first and second floor. My uncle's friend Thierry shows us around and we have a coffee with him. I'll be seeing more of him later on in my trip.

COFFEE

No comments:

Post a Comment