Monday, April 15, 2013

Second Beginnings

It's strange to be back in Oxford. I feel somehow simultaneously too busy to post on my blog, but too aimless and distracted to do any work. Hopefully both of these feelings will subside soon. 

Lots has happened since I left France. I've moved into my new room, a cute little lonely single. I've visited Christ Church and Windsor Castle on organized trips with the rest of the Stanford bunch. I've "gotten lost" with R.Mata in London (he doesn't like his world to feel small. No plans or maps allowed). In between the more noteworthy events, I've been:

...trying to get back into the swing of things with trips to the library. 
...getting addicted to a TV show which I objectively feel like I shouldn't be enjoying as much.
...exploring some of the culinary options that I missed first time around (read: there are delicious             bagels within walking distance, and although the vegan salad bar in Covered Market comes alarmingly close to self-parody, the food makes you forgive them immediately).
...cooking food with N.Avery (today we might've been a little ambitious with the flop of a fried rice, but it was still okay).
...waiting for the Oxford kids to get back and fill this semi-dead town. 

The Stanford kids this time around seem to generally be of a different vibe. Calmer, tamer, more timid. It's strange to be the one that knows my way around; the first couple days I was bombarded with all sorts of questions. It felt like I had turned overnight into some sort of tour guide or ambassador. But I didn't mind at all. Answering those questions made me realize how much I've come to like this place. I can't wait for another great quarter. :) 

Nothing very "photography" to see, but here are a few standard touristy pictures to serve as hard evidence that I'm alive. 

Christ Church dining hall, famous for its affiliation with the one in the Harry Potter films (it's fuzzy on whether it was actually the one filmed, or whether the one filmed was just inspired from it). This would have been a nicer visit without the massive throngs of French middle-schoolers swarming everywhere.

Windsor Castle. The flag means that the queen is in!

Changing of the guard. I wonder how old that dog is...these musicians must get tired of the playing the same piece everyday. Or maybe there's a rotation of pieces. 

R.Mata and A.Reyes, adventuring in London. We had to go into the Disneyland store. 
Meet my new roommate, Stitch. I splurged 7 pounds on him but it was worth it. Took pictures of him hanging out in London all through the afternoon. This is just an indicative one; I'll spare you all of them. (at a clothing shop on Oxford Street, waiting for R.Mata to decide between two ca-ute shirts.
Hyde Park stroll. Sunny but windy!
We're getting better! This was legitly a two course meal. Although nothing we make is ever fancy, it's usually yummy.  :)






No comments:

Post a Comment