Tuesday, March 19, 2013

End of Term

Sitting in L'Artaudie, it almost feels like summer vacation all over again...except every time I glance outside the window I see snow.

The end of Hilary term at Oxford was a blur, and I think I'm just beginning to realize that my first quarter abroad is actually over. I say first because half way through the term, I decided to stay on for an extra quarter. Something told me that I wouldn't be ready to say goodbye to that place after 10 weeks, and now I'm glad that I predicted the sentiments of my future time-slice so well. There are still so many places to see and things to learn. I'm excited to go back after what was one of my favorite quarters of college so far.

I feel like I've learned so much. The more I reflect, the more I feel my term crystallize into little mottos I can take with me. Examples: Don't be afraid of books; you can learn a lot by just opening one up. Kant is unbelievably confusing, and patience is crucial. Chicken kebab at Ahmed's should always be ordered with garlic sauce. Tesco Everyday Value is the way to go. After a hard day, a Ben's cookie is well deserved. Potatoes, eat only in moderation. Talking about music is a good way of making conversation. Don't be embarrassed to be an American; some people actually think it's really cool. British people can't dance. ETC ETC ETC.

My last weekend in England was spent on a two night trip to London. Got to eat (cheap) Japanese food, something which is impossible to do in Oxford. My roommate's friend was visiting from Dublin, and we spent the majority of our full day traipsing about the huge shops on Oxford Street. I pretended that I didn't feel totally out of my element, and our "shopping" trip ended up being really fun (in quotes because I didn't buy anything). We also spent a part of the afternoon in the beautiful Victoria and Albert Museum, and for lunch I had my first legit English breakfast  -- carbs on carbs on carbs. Ketchup everywhere to complete the tastiness.

After my roommate's friend had left to catch her flight in the late afternoon, we transfered to our hostel for the night and then nabbed 68 pound, premier tickets to Billy Elliot for 38 pounds one hour before the show started! We were feeling very proud of ourselves, and the show itself was AMAZING which added to the triumph.

I left early on Sunday morning and took the Tube to Heathrow for my flight to Lyon. After one night staying with my aunt and cousins in St. Etienne, I arrived at L'Artaudie on Monday at lunchtime.




No comments:

Post a Comment